Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

American Education

I wanted to touch on two different aspects of American education. One from higher education and the other from elementary school.

Let me start with the higher education. I subscribe to the Chronicle of Higher Education. On the front page, and continues on to three more pages, about a young man at University of Notre Dame. He went to visit the schools president, who is also a priest, and told him that he had lost his touch with God. After a long talk the young man felt better about it. The student said that he lost his touch with God after he had taken a lot of his classes for his biology degree.

The second story is one that has been going on for a while. It is about a little boy who has been put into in school suspension for long hair. To me that is ridiculous. I work in a school environment and see students with long and short hair and it does not seem to bother anyone. I do not know what to think of an education system that allows students to sit in a class a long time and be distracting, but as soon as a four year old boy has semi long hair that is not acceptable. So to me that is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment